วันอาทิตย์ที่ 8 กุมภาพันธ์ พ.ศ. 2552

Magha Puja

Today is a Buddhist holiday, apparently called "Magha Puja". But, since my host family isn't Buddhist, this whole holiday for me just means a day off of school.. so today I've just been spending sitting at home, trying to get over my cold which I've developed in the last few days. Nothing too exciting. Here is a little blurb about Mugha Puja in case any of you are interested:

"Also called "Makha Bucha," Magha Puja commemorates a day when 1,250 monks, all from different places and on their on initiative, spontaneously came to pay homage to the historical Buddha. In particular, this is a day for laypeople to show special appreciation for the monastic sangha.
This is a major holiday in Thailand in particular. On this day, Thai Buddhists gather at sunset in their local temples to participate in candlelight processions called Wian Tian."

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: