วันอังคารที่ 11 พฤศจิกายน พ.ศ. 2551

Christmas Tees and Other Things

Today 3 interesting/exciting things happened:

1) Natalie and all of the other old student teachers where at the school! I skipped out on my English class (the one class where I actually understand everything) to visit with them.. It was fun... Although I think Natalie was the most excited to see me (and I was the most excited to see her), which makes sense since she was the one who took me to Chaiyaphum and was probably my best friend out of the group. She pretty much screamed and gave me a big hug when I first walked into the room.. If this is how people are acting when it's only been a couple of months since they saw me, I'm wondering what it will be like when I get back to Canada?

2) I had a conversation with one of my classmates, Soy, that pretty much broke my heart. As I've mentioned before, he/she is one of the gay boys in my class (trust me, my class has all of like 5 boys in it and half of them are gay).. He's really nice though and is always wanting to practice his English with me (he gets super happy when he tries to talk to me and I actually understand what he is saying)... Soy also happens to be Muslim. He was telling me today that Islam doesn't accept gay people, and for this reason it's a big secret within his family that he is gay (although probably the entire school knows it...). He was telling me how he is "scary" of telling his parents, because he is afraid of them rejecting him. I dunno, it was just really heartbreaking.. I don't know how to explain it. I just kind of feel that different religions should accept everyone (although I know that is probably never going to happen). It's just sad that a person can believe so strongly in something, and love their God so much, yet be under the impression that their God won't love them back.. (added to the fact that they would face rejection from their family, society, etc.) I also find the fact that he was able to communicate these emotions through to me when we barely speak the same language. Honestly, it's amazing how much can be said just through facial expressions and what not... (Oh and just for interests sake, Buddhism accepts gays)

3) When I got home from school today, Sun-Yair was waiting outside for me and she starting saying "P'Cream!.......(something in Thai that I didn't understand)" I told her I didn't understand so she led me inside, and guess what is now downstairs in the "living room" area! A nice biggish (plastic by the way) Christmas tree! It's probably one of the best things I've seen in my life. I do realize it's a bit early for Christmas trees, but I'm really appreciating the fact that my host family went through all the effort of setting it all up for me (I think they already owned it, so they just had to dig it out of somewhere and assemble it)...

Oh, and also, tomorrow is Loy Kratong festival! And as part of the celebration, my school will be putting on a Thai beauty contest, which all of my Thai friend and teachers have convinced me to compete it! Honestly I had no intention of doing so, but then I ran into the teacher who is organizing it today, and she asked me if I would like to be in it.... One thing led to another. My understanding of the whole thing is that I basically just have to walk across the stage, stop and "wai" and then walk off... There is no talent contest or anything, which is deffinately a plus, although I think I might have to answer some questions in Thai. Patch volunteered to help translate for me though (and if I answer horribly wrong, she will just translate it into a better answer!) All my classmates (esepcially Soy) are all really exited about it though, and are all going to cheer me on. I know I probably won't win, but if I do, I'll get 3000 baht out of it (almost 100 dollars). It's a chance for me to get to wear my Thai dress which I bought back in September though... today after school I tried it on just to make sure it still fits, and well... it's a tight squeeze (and practically cuts off the circulation around my rib area when I sit down...) Tomorrow morning I will go to school at 7 (eek) and meet Patch there, who will hopefully be able to do my hair/makeup all Thai style (which could be interesting by Thai hair styles involve hair ornaments, of which we have none).. I will try to get a video or at least pictures taken of the contest, for you all to see! Wish me luck!

And Happy Remembrance Day Canada (although I'm not really sure if this is a day you're supposed to be happy on :S)

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: