วันศุกร์ที่ 17 เมษายน พ.ศ. 2552

S'Mores!

Today I went to Patch's house, where we made ourselves a little campfire and roasted hot dogs and made smores (thanks to Mama Brock for providing the marshmellows!).. It was a good time. Everyone liked the smores, which was cool because most of the people there had never eaten them before.. and I got to show off my amazing skills at roasting marshmellows to the perfect point without burning them.. which none of the Thai people seemed to be able to do (but then again it as their first shot at doing it... so I can't be too hard on them). Overall it was a very enjoyable day.. except for the heat, which pretty much always sucks, but it sucked even more when you're sitting next to a hot fire trying to roast hot dogs...

Anyways, I've been thinking about Thai phrases that I will be sad to have leave my vocabulary when I go back to Canada... so I figured I better make a list of them all and give explanations of them to you so that you'll all understand what the hell I'm talking about when I get back.. so, here is my list of the most awesome Thai phrases:

1. Mai Bpenrai - Can mean sooo many things (that's what makes it so amazing).. including, "you're welcome," "don't worry about it," "it's no problem," etc.

2. Jing Law - Means "really?"... although since each area of Thailand has it's own dialect, I've noticed that mostly in my area people instead say "Oh Law"

3. Jing Jing - comes after the "jing law" or "oh law" question.. and means, "really really".

4. Arai Go Dai - means "whatever"... for example: "yak gin arai?" (what do you want to eat?) "gin arai go dai" (whatever)

5. +55555 - used on MSN or hi5 etc.. is the Thai version of "hahaha" or "lol" since the number five in Thailand is pronounced like "ha"
6. Sanap Sanoon Doi - okay, nobody uses this one in conversations.. it just sounds sooo cool... means "sponsored in part by" (like for TV or radio shows...)
7. Na - a word with really no meaning that Thai's tend to add on to the end of sentences (kind of like the stereotypical Canadian "eh?") even when speaking in English, such as "I miss you na".
8. Mai - the easiest way to explain this one is that it's pretty much the same as a "?" at the end of a sentence in English. Thai's don't raise their voice to ask as question, as we do in English.. instead they just add the word mai... for example "hiew mai" (are you hungry?)... but of course adding "mai" has kind of become a habit for me to do in English as well.. "you want mai" "eat mai" etc.
Another interesting thing about the Thai language.. I swear, everything rhymes! For exmample, "bye nye?" (where are you going?) or "puad pa sa Thai dai mai?" (can you speak Thai?)

2 ความคิดเห็น:

Amy กล่าวว่า...

:-) sounds like so.much.fun.
if thailand doesnt accept me i will cry. please tell them that a chick from NZ is applying for april 2010 and REALLY wants to come!!

ไม่ระบุชื่อ กล่าวว่า...

Great post! ^^ Those are some awesome phrases.