วันจันทร์ที่ 27 ตุลาคม พ.ศ. 2551

Moving Families

Yesterday afternoon, at about 4:30, my Advisor, Rose from AFS, and P'Jeed from AFS all showed up at my new home to take me back to my old one, where we met up with my Coordinator, and the vice-principal from my school. We went into the office with my old host parents, where I had to kneal down (I don't think that's the right spelling of kneal at all :S maybe it's just my English that's going downhil....) and give them a jasmine bracelet (kind of like the ones from mother's day) and say, "Thank you for welcoming me into your home" to them. They apparently both said (although I can never be sure because they said it in Thai and someone translated..) that they still wish to see me every now and then, and that I am always welcome to go back there and visit. My old host mom gave me a blank CD for me to burn pictures I had taken of us onto it for her. Then they all stayed in the office talking while I went to pack up (and by pack up, I pretty much mean just throw all my crap into the nearest bag I could find). In my drawer I found the picture frame I had bought for my old host mom back in July when we had the whole misunderstanding about when her birthday was (my Coordinator told me it was in July, but then ended up being in December), along with the picture I had printed of me and her on my first day living with them. When I was all done packing, I left this picture in the frame on my "desk" for her or someone else to find. When I was done packing, we all ate dinner together in the kitchen with my old host parents. Nothing too much exciting happened then. They all just talked in Thai, and I ate. When that was over with, P'Keng, P'Kla, and P'Klang helped me bring all of my stuff down and load it into the car. I said a quick goodbye to the three of them (quick because my whole "entourage" was in a hurry to go), gave my ex-host mom a hug goodbye, and then left.

I never expected it, but it was kind of sad moving out of there, esepcially with them being all so nice about it at the end. I just kept reminding myself that although they were nice, it wasn't the right situation for me to live in. It's not as though they were mean to me, just that they were all so busy with their own lives that there wasn't really enough time for them to share or show me anything. I also think I will really miss P'Kla and P'Beam. Hopefully I will still be able to see Beam once in a while, as she was one of my best friends here. When we were in the South with Rose, she asked us all who our favourite person in Thailand was, and I told her Beam was mine.

Also interesting... My Coordinator told me that at first (while I was in the South, I'm assuming) they found me a new, different host family, but that my new host sister Sun-Yair (not Sun-Mah.. my bad) wouldn't have it. She wanted me to live with her family. So I guess it's because of her that I'm living where I'm living now. When I got back to their house, they cleaned out some closet space for me, and I unpacked my clothes and most of my other things. I still have so much crap I have to deal with though.... Cherry phoned me in the evening and asked me if I was okay. I'm not really sure why she called, but it was nice of her anyways. Maybe they are worried that I won't like my new family as much as them or something. Who knows, maybe now that we don't actually have to live together, we will be friends.

Today is my first day back at school (which is where I'm writing this from). I woke up all early in the morning, showered, put on my uniform, ate breakfast, and then my new host parents drove me to school. Oh, have I ever mentioned before how in Thailand there seems to be a lack of car seats for babies? So on the way to school my little baby host brother was just sitting on the back seat next to me? I scared the shit out of me, to be honest. It's bad enough that people don't wear seatbelts here... but babies just roaming freely around cars... I dunno. I got to school just in time to line up and sing the national anthem. Luckily I was able to recognize some faces, and ended up standing with the right class. Yay me! Normally last semester I would just follow Cherry to the right place. After assembly, I came to the computer room (surprise!) which is where I'm writing this from. I don't have my schedule for this semester yet, so I'm just waiting around here hoping my Coordinator will show up and give it to me. Apparently this semester I will actually have to go to classes (like math or whatever other subjects) with everyone else in my class, and only have special classes (such as my Thai language for beginners) on my own.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: