วันจันทร์ที่ 29 ธันวาคม พ.ศ. 2551

Camping Cancelled and Such

Nothing particularily exciting to report. I studied Thai Dance yesterday at school, along with some girls from either Grade 8 or 9 (I'm not sure). We started out class by doing some stretches, but not really the kind of stretches you normally do in dance class. We had to sit all mermaid style on the floor and using one hand we had to bend the fingers back as far as we could on the other hand and hold it for 20 second. Then we had to just stretch our hands back as far as we could on their own for 20 seconds in about 4 different arm positions.. Next we had to stand up and kind of balance on one leg while the other leg was all bent out behind us in a Thai dance style pose and hold it for another 20 seconds. It was hard work. They taught me the beginning part of a routine, and at the end we all had to be tested on it. We split into two groups, and I was in the first group. Since I didn't really have the whole thing memorized yet, I kind of looked over at the other girls to make sure I was on the right foot and stuff. Our group all passed! But none of the girls in the second group did... however, the bell rang before they could be re-tested.


During the last two classes in the afternoon, one of the bands from my school (not Win's band (the band I played with that one day)) put on a bit of a concert at the school. It was fun to watch, I thought they all played really well (it was more soft (Thai) kind of rock) and they were all quite good preformers. Patch had to leave school early, so afterschool I went to the market with Dearh (one of my friends from my class) and her friends from another class. It was fun, since I've never really hung out with those girls after school before. I've seen them around at school and said hi to them. I bought myself a pair of flats for 100 baht (3 dollars) at the market! And then I went home by song-taew with Dearh, who doesn't live on the same street as me, but still goes home the same way.

Now, my host family had been planning on going camping for New Years this year. And although my Thai friends invited me to go out with them for New Years, I told them I couldn't because I was going camping. Well.... camping plans have now been cancelled because my host gramma is sick in the hospital. So, as of now I don't really know what I'll be doing for New Years Eve. I've talked to Elisabeth, and I might go with her and her host sister/Thai friends to Central World (Downtown Bangkok) for the big countdown. However, since I don't really know any of her Thai friends, I'm not sure how much fun it would be. I kind of think I might have more fun if I go with my Thai friends, but since there is no school for the rest of the week, I'm not really sure how I can talk to them about it and see if it's okay for me to go with them still... so I'll probably just end up going with Elli (if her host mom says it's okay for me to spend the night there....)

So, I've been doing some reflecting on my whole exchange business here. And I must admit, I'm glad I decided to stick it out for the whole year rather than going home in December... Because, well basically, I feel like although I did have fun in the first 5 months here... it was more touristy type fun, but now I finally feel like I'm actually developing a LIFE here. I now am enjoying school, have Thai friends, and actually am beginning to feel at home with my new host family. I think there are some exchange students (like Rachel) who were lucky and felt like this alot earlier on in their exchange.. but for me it's taken almost 6 months just to reach this point, which kind of makes me sad, because now I only have about 4 and a half months to actually enjoy this life... and then, well, it's over. Actually, I really only have 2 months left of school, and then after that who knows how much I'll actually be seeing my Thai friends (they'll be busy getting ready for and beginning University).

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: