วันอังคารที่ 2 ธันวาคม พ.ศ. 2551

Met Boat Trip

On Sunday I went with Elisabeth, who had won tickets from a local radio station (met 107), to a boat tour of the Chao Phraya River in Bangkok. She won the tickets by sending in a text message to the station answering a question about why she loves Thailand. Her answer was, "because of the cute guys who work in 7-11".. and I guess the DJs found this answer quite funny, so they gave her 2 tickets, and she invited me along. We had some difficulties actually finding the station in the morning, but when we finally made it we were all sorted into 5 teams, each team containing 2 farang, 1 Thai, and 1 DJ. It was nice to see so many other foreigners, and not just foreign tourists... all of these people are what they call "expats" meaning they actually live in Thailand. One of the ladies was fron Canada (Penticton to be exact), and I talked to her a bit. I was pretty psyched about that because I haven't seen another Canadian in person for just about 5 months now...

We spent the day boating down the river, and stopping at various piers to compete in a photo rally. At each stop we had a mission to complete, which involved finding certain things around the area and taking pictures of them.. I was hoping to include some of these pictures on this blog, but my computer has been having some difficulties. For some reason my wireless isn't working. My host cousin took my laptop to a store at Fashion Island yesterday, and they checked out my computer and said it was absolutely fine.. it worked with their wireless and all. But for some reason it won't work at my host families house. My suspision is that it is something wrong with my host families wireless.. but they seem convinced that it has something to do with my Windows Vista, and they think that if they change my computer to Windows XP, they will be able to fix it... so tomorrow they are planning to install Windows XP.. but I'm honestly not feeling too gun-ho about the whole thing... I wish I had someway to back up all of my pictures and things before they do this.. because yes, I am actually quite paranoid about losing all of my pictures.. esepcially certain ones from Thailand which got deleted off my of camera and I only have them on my computer... back to the photo rally.

One of our stops was at Wat Pho, where we all got free Thai Massages. It was amazing, esepcially since Wat Pho is THE place for Thai Massages... My back kept on cracking during my massage though, at times when I don't think it was supposed to. The lady giving me the massage kept on making noises like, "oh.. that's weird." but it felt good. I feel so much better now after having some good crack.

My team didn't do so good in the whole event. We came last, to be honest. We still won some free German beer and CDs though! The winners each got a 2 night stay in some fancy hotel in Bangkok.. Elli and I had alot of fun, and got to see some new parts of Bangkok which we haven't really had a chance to see before, including one road called "Khao San Road", which is the backpackers haven of Thailand. There were sooo many foreigners and interesting shops. Khao San Road is also apparently THE place to go at Songkran (water festival) in April. One of the DJs from the station, named Melissa (she does the show called "Sa-Wat-Dee Farang" every morning from 6-7) offered to take Elli and I shopping there sometime. And since she also lives fairly near Elli, she drove us back home to Elli's house when the whole thing was over. However, since it was already dark outside when we arrived back at Elli's I wasn't really comfortable taking a taxi home on my own, and my host family wasn't able to come pick me up. So I just slept the night at Elli's and come home by taxi on Monday morning (and skipped school).

Last night I was sitting in my room and my host dad (who was taking my lil host brother to the doctor.. he had a fever) called me, and tried to tell me something that confused me a great deal. I finally realized he was telling me to go outside and look at the moon. I did, and the sky smiled at me. It was so cool. The moon looked like a smile, while there were two planets/stars (someone told me one was saturn, and someone else said jupiter) that looked like eyes. Apparently this kind of alignment happens only once every 4 years. I'm not sure if it can be seen from Canada.. so you guys will have to let me know if anyone saw it?

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: