วันอาทิตย์ที่ 24 สิงหาคม พ.ศ. 2551

Another Lazy Day

Today was pretty much the same as yesterday, minus the whole Muslim wedding thing. I got to talk to my parents on the phone for a while, which was really nice. I read a lot today, and I think I'll probably finish The Pillars of the Earth tonight. I also spent a ridiculous amount of time on youtube.

Something I've been struggling alot with lately is this feeling of being so dependent on everyone around me. It's esepcially hard to deal with at this point in my life, when I've just graduated and should be gaining some independence. It honestly kind of sucks not being able to go out and do anything on my own. I know there is good reason for me not being allowed to do so, mainly because I don't know the language or my way around and am probably a likely target for being robbed etc. If I ever want to do anything, I need to find someone who wants to do it with me, and who will take me there, and it makes me feel almost like a burden to all the people around me. I know they are all busy with their own lives, and I don't want them to drop what they're doing just to accompany me somewhere. I think I need to pick up some kind of hobby for these days I spend alone in my room. (I could spend them alone in the living room, but that is right next to the cock fighting pit, and there is a big window which all the men stare at me through.) When Patch was in America she took up scrapbooking in here spare time, and came back to Thailand with a scrapbook of all her good times in America already made. Maybe I'll try doing something like that. It just sucks because I'm not even allowed to go out for a walk by myself, so I'm pretty much just stuck inside all day. Hopefully within the next couple of months things will start to change a bit, although I doubt it because even Cherry isn't really allowed to do anything on her own. I think it will be really interesting at the Cultural Orientation Camp next weekend to see what kinds of situations everyone else is in, and how they are coping and what not.

I think tomorrow my host cousin from Hong Kong will be coming here with a few of her friends to do some travelling around Thailand. I'm not sure if they are staying with my host family or not, but I think it will be nice to meet her anyways, since she apparently speaks really good English. Although I'm finding that people here who, "speak really good English" usually dont. Well not with me at least. I think the problem is that they're used to speaking in English to someone whose first language isn't English, and therefore they speak very slowly and simply. Then they talk to someone like me who apparently speaks really fast and uses English slang they're not used to. It gets complicated, but basically just leads me to be very skeptical of anyone who claims to speak good English.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: