วันอังคารที่ 19 สิงหาคม พ.ศ. 2551

Bromsgrove International School

I had my last flower making class today. I must admit, I'm a little sad. I really enjoyed that class. But since the teacher is retiring at the end of the semester, and I guess she's taught me all she really wanted to, no more flower making for me. Here was my final project:
I ate lunch with Patch and Cherry, and then we went to go have my fortune told by one of Cherry's friends in what I'm pretty sure what the physics classroom. Neither of them could really explain what exactly we were going to do, but I thought it would be fun anyways. They just got me to shuffle a regular deck of cards 18 times, and then they spread the cards all out on the table. They gave me three options to chose from: love, money, or study. I chose money, and then chose 3 random cards from the pile. The girl told me that I am still supported money wise by a white man (yay go Dad!). I then chose study, chose 3 more cards, and she told me that there is still something I am not sure about for my study. Which is true I guess, because I'm still not sure what is going to be happening when I get back to Canada, university wise. I chose three more cards, and the only option left was love. She told me I will always like boys older than me.

In the afternoon, I went to my Thai music class, and Patch went with me, since she had nothing else to do. She ended up just learning with me. It was actually really fun. The teacher had to leave at one point to go do something else, I'm not really sure what. So we just sat around and played some music, and then played with the cute little kittens that live in the Thai music room. (did I forget to mention that our school is home to many cats and dogs?)


Pailin found us in the music room, and the three of us went to Pailin's house, mainly so me and her could try and buy tickets for the Nutcracker. We discovered that Thai people generally aren't too interested in ballet, as there were still a ton of good seats left, and hardly any tickets at all had been sold. We didn't end up buying any, because we figured we would wait a couple more weeks to see when my AFS Cultural Orientation Camp is before we buy any, just in case it's at the same time as the ballet.

Pailin wanted to show us around her school, Bromsgrove International School. It was fairly small, but actually a really nice looking school, much nicer looking than Queen Margarets (the only other boarding school I've seen). However, I kind of got a weird vibe from the school. I met a few teachers (I think maybe one was the headmaster) who are all British. I understand that they want their Thai and other students to emphasize learning English, because as I've learned from being here, English really is the language to know. There is no escaping it. For example, whenever something pops up on a computer, it's in English, and my host brother's or sister need me to translate it for them. Lately my host brother's have all taken to playing some online game, it's kind of like Grand Theft Auto I think, but it's all in English, and they keep asking me what different words used in it are. Today they asked me about "sex appeal". Anyways, back to Bromsgrove School. I understand the push for students to learn English, but the vibe I got from the whole place was, kind of more to eliminate other cultures, which seems a little odd to me since they're situated in a very cultural-rich country. I know I can't really make an accurate judgement though, because I was only there for maybe an hour, but the whole thing just seemed a little off to me. Pailin is trying to organize a day where students from mine and Patch's school will go visit Bromsgrove, and students from Bromsgrove will visit our school. If I go along, then I'm sure I will be able to get a better feel of the school, and then see if I'm still getting a weird feeling.

We went and picked Cherry up from school, dropped Patch off at home, and then Pailin drove Cherry and I home. After dinner, I watched Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets with Beam and Kla. Now I'm exhausted.... Therefore, goodnight.

1 ความคิดเห็น:

Unknown กล่าวว่า...

How interesting! You should follow your gut.