วันพฤหัสบดีที่ 7 สิงหาคม พ.ศ. 2551

Switzerland in Thailand

Today school was quite boring. The only class I had all day, was Thai Music. It wasn't so bad, as I began learning a new song on the Thai Xylaphone thingy. The rest of the day I spent hanging out in the computer room, either playing solitaire, or just talking to my AFS Coordinator. She told me all kinds of useful information about Thailand, such as how some hill tribe people in the North of Thailand, the ones who wear the rings around their necks to make their necks super long, will sell their daughters to some tourist company. Although I did feel a little hypocritical because I kind of wouldn't mind seeing those people. However, I would prefer it if I saw them in an actual Hill Tribe community, not at some kind of tourist show. She also told me that next semester I will learn Chinese! I'm kind of excited about it, since my host family is actually Chinese, and my host mom, my host dad, and my host Gramma's first languages are all Chinese. Apparently my host mom speaks Thai with a really bad Chinese accent, however I can't tell. I also think Chinese is probably a more useful language than Thai, just because it is more widely spoken. By the way, first semester ends around September 20, after which we have about 40 days off of school before the second semester starts at the end of October. Second semester will end around the beginning of March, and then I will be free until I leave in May. And by that time I will hopefully speak enough Thai to be able to get around on my own. From what I've heard, once AFS exchange students here make it past the 5 month mark, AFS becomes totally slack and the kids can pretty much go anywhere or do anything they want.

Anyways, in the afternoon Pailin came to the school and gave me a ride home so I could go take a shower and get ready to go out for dinner tonight with Patch, Lindsey, Palilin, and some teachers from the school including my AFS coordiator and advisor. The restaurant we went to was located on a lake. And when I say on a lake, I mean it. It was pretty much a pier turned into a restaurant. By the time we got there, it was already dark outside, but Patch told me that if you go while the sun is setting it looks just like Switzerland. She calls it, "Switzerland in Thailand." I had a really good time at dinner. I ate some good Thai food, met some new people, including one guy from Pakistan who was all decked out in a turban and beard and what not. And there was the cutest little Thai baby girl who just wandered over to our table at one point and climbed up on Patch's lap. So cute. I took a couple of pictures, but then my battery died, which is why I also haven't put any pictures on this post. Oh well. It was alot of fun though just visiting with Lindsey and such. It was kind of like a going away party for her I guess, since her plane leaves tomorrow for America. So at the end of the night, we all said goodbye to her, and then Pailin drove me home.

Also, apparently my plans for Saturday all have to be cancelled because my host family has plans for the day already. I'm kind of sad I won't get to see Manda, because I'm really in need of some farang time. My host family is apparently taking me to see my host cousin, in another part of Bangkok, which is near the beach. I'm not sure if I will get to go swimming, but the scenery will still, hopefully, be beautiful.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: