วันศุกร์ที่ 29 สิงหาคม พ.ศ. 2551

Contests and Concerts

Today we were late for school. Well not really late, we got there at right at 8 o'clock, which is when we are supposed to already be standing in line to sing the national anthem and raise the flag. This happens everywhere in Thailand at 8 in the morning, and at 6 at night the flags are lowered. Not to mention the fact that every single TV channel and radio station also plays the national anthem at these times too. It's weird flipping trough channels and having every channel be exactly the same. Anyways, being late for school we had to stand with the rest of the students who were late. Cherry told me sometimes that the teachers will beat the students who are late, but I know that really they wouldn't do that to me, so I wasn't too worried. However, one of the teachers picked out Cherry and a few other students and told them to report to some other teacher, and I'm still really not to sure what ended up happening with them. I was told to go wait with my AFS coordinator, who then told me to wait for Patch by the office where I wouldn't be in the rain. For some reason it was raining even though there wasn't a cloud in the sky. When Patch was done standing in line she met up with me and we walked to the hospital which is right next to the school to go meet with my coordinator. Since it is a government hospital, it was super crowded with sick people. I think I would be quite happy if I don't have to go to that hospital ever again while I'm here. But since I wasn't really sick, and only had to get the document from the doctor saying I'm healthy to go swimming, it was alright. Luckily my coordinator pulled some strings so that I was able to kind of budge ahead of a bunch of people in line. Once that was all done, I needed to go to the bank at Carrefour to deposit the rest of my America money. My coordinator took me on her motorbike, while Patch walked back to the school. We got to Carrefour at about 9:45, and then discovered the bank wasn't open unil 10:30. So, we waited until 10, when KFC opened, to eat an early lunch of chicken, and then went to the bank.
When I got back to the school I met up with Patch, and we spent a while looking around at the science fair, and watching the karaoke. Everyone was trying to get me to do some karaoke, but I didn't really want to, so I used the excuse that I couldn't sing the Thai songs because I wouldn't understand what was on the screen to follow.. so then they would tell me I could just sing an English song... I somehow managed to not sing though. At 2 o'clock we headed up to the auditorium thing (not really an auditorium, it's more like a gym with a stage at one end) to watch the dance competition. Last Friday during the dance competition, the judges chose the best 5 routines to compete in the actual competition, which was today. It was all based around these Thai superstars called "Golf Mike" (one is named "Golf" and the other is "Mike", so why they call themselves "Golf Mike" and not "Golf and Mike" I don't know) who have their own brand of green teas. I honestly don't really understand it all. The stage was decorated with posters of Golf and Mike advertising their beverages, and there were people there giving out free Golf Mike green tea, as well as sunflower seed snacks. The five couples performed, and let's just say I got my first taste of insane asian girls going crazy for superstars, even though the people performing were really their classmates, and not superstars at all. I can't imagine how they could be any louder, although I'm sure they would find a way if say Golf and Mike were actually there. The girls even went crazy over the roadies who were just there putting up the posters and what not. A heard of them would go up to these poor guys and just ask to take their picture. Anyways, my friend Bee and her partner ended up winning the competition. My understanding is that they will then continue on to compete against other schools for some big prize that has to do with Golf and Mike I'm guessing. After the whole dance competition, there was to be a Battle of the Bands. The bands that played were actually really good. Although one the drummers brought out of a double kick and set it up, but then never actually used it in any of their songs. I kept waiting for him to use it, but it never happened. I don't understand the point of having a double kick if you don't use it. Also, all of the bass players used the same 5 string bass, but didn't use the top string! However, one of the bass players actually played some slap bass, which I thought was cool, although I'm pretty sure nobody else in the entire audience realized what he was doing. A bunch of people were dancing around all crazy for all the bands. It was kind of crazy to see all of these girls with matching uniforms and matching bob haircuts all banging their heads. I even saw some girls give this painting they had done of one of the drummers (the guy who always asks me about playing bass) to him... At some point I think maybe all the dancing somehow turned into moshing, and a fight broke out. I didn't see it though, because a bunch of people were in the way. However, the teachers weren't too impressed, and they shut down the whole competition, even though not all of the bands had performed. Apparently they won't be allowing any more concerts at the school again. Kind of sucks that it got ruined for everyone...
After that whole fiasco, Patch and I walked to Tops, where I planned on phoning P'Kla to come and pick me up. However, when I phoned him he told me that he was in downtown Bangkok and wouldn't be able to pick me up. It was kind of frustrating, because usually when he can't pick me up, he tells me earlier in the day so that I can make other plans for getting home, usually by getting a ride from Pailin. I phoned her up to see if she would be able to take me home, which I really hated doing because I know she has her own life besides being my personal driver, and she was busy anyways and couldn't drive me. Patch eventually called my coordinator to see if she could try and find someone to give me a ride, and she was able to arrange for the vice principal at the school to take me.
The rest of my dad was filled with packing for the camp, eating dinner, and washing some clothes. Now I think I will be going to sleep, since I have to wake up at 6 tomorrow morning to head for the camp. Sooo.. this is it until Tuesday. Sa-Wat-Dee.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: