วันเสาร์ที่ 23 สิงหาคม พ.ศ. 2551

For Lack of a Better Title...

Today I actually managed to sleep in until 9 o'clock! I had the best breakfast that I've had since I've been here. It was saffron rice (I think :S) but it tasted super yummy. It had chicken and cucumber with it, which you could dip into this sauce that tasted exactly like the salad dressing from The Other Side. After that I spent some time tidying up my room, and then kind of lazed the rest of the day away reading the Pillars of the Earth. At 6 tonight I went with my host dad to a Muslim Wedding celebration type thing. We only stayed long enough to eat dinner, and my host dad gave them 500 baht as a gift, which is the custom for Thai weddings. That's another cultural difference I've noticed. If a person were to go to someones wedding in Canada, eat the food, and then leave, it might be considered rude. People are expected to stick around and join in on the celebrations and what not. Here it's not considered rude at all. Also, when giving money as a gift, one should be thankful that the couple accept their money, rather than the couple being thankful that someone has given them money. Completely the opposite of how Western cultures think. I'm not sure where my host siblings have all dissapeared to. When we got back from the Muslim thing, nobody else seemed to be home. So I've spent the last little while watching random videos on YouTube, which I'm quite enjoying since I can't ever watch them in Canada due to slow internet. However, I can't help but feel a little guilty because I know I'm not supposed to be watching too many things in English, as it will hinder my Thai learning... My bad.

1 ความคิดเห็น:

Unknown กล่าวว่า...

^^ I say this a lot, but I really enjoy reading your blog. I love how you're so open and interested in culture. :) You seem like a great exchange student.