วันศุกร์ที่ 1 สิงหาคม พ.ศ. 2551

"It Was Screamly"

Nothing too exciting happened today. I went to school, was bored at school all day, then came home. Pailin came over a little while after school ended, because she wanted to confirm plans for tomorrow with my host mom, but she ended up staying for dinner and then we watched Hairspray.

This morning while we were standing (well actually sitting) in line, Oat was showing me some English things he had written, one of which was about dreams, and went into detail of one of the dreams he once had. He English really wasn't that great, but it got the point across, and I found my new favorite word within his little paragraph. He described his dream by saying, "it was screamly." Screamly. Such a good word. He then explained to me that this was part of his portfolio which he had given to AFS. He said he had applied with AFS for the last two years to study abroad, but was turned down each time. He told me that once it was because they could only choose one student, so the teacher went to both his house, and the other candidates house to interview them, and since his house was bigger and nicer than the other girls, AFS chose her. Who knows what the real reason was. But he said he felt sad both times for being rejected, but he has come to terms with it now, and hopes to be able to study abroad for a semester while in University or something instead. The whole conversation though, helped me realize just how lucky I am to have this opportunity to be here. AFS Canada seemed kind of slack in that all I did was apply, and they let me come here. AFS Thailand is much more competitive, and for alot of kids, if they don't qualify for one of the few full scholarships to go abroad, they simply cannot afford it. I'm not sure if this was the case for Oat, but I do know that when Patch went to America she had a full scholarship. Just talking to someone who really wants to go on exchange, but hasn't been able to, makes me want to try to make the most out of my time here even more.

On a lighter note, tomorrow Pailin and I are off to DreamWorld! I'm super excited. Also, it has officially been 1 month since I've seen Keith, which means alot of other 1 month things are coming up soon. But I must say, thank god this month is over. There have deffinately been alot of ups and downs, and it was honestly THE longest month of my life. That isn't to say I didn't have a good time in the end. And hopefully now things will go by alot faster. Everyone I've talked to says it's the first month that's the toughy, and then next thing you know you're having so much fun you don't even want to go home... I deffinately haven't reached that stage quite yet though :P

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: