วันพุธที่ 27 สิงหาคม พ.ศ. 2551

Just another day in the life of an exchange student

I spent the majority of the morning at school today checking my emails, getting my post cards from Bessy (thank you Bessy, getting my first mail here really made my day!), and talking to my AFS Coordinator about the COC Camp. She didn't really tell me too much I didn't already know, since last night after I posted Cherry was able to find all the information for me about it. However, I'm kind of dissapointed because not all the AFS students will be going to the same camp. They are having two different camps, one for students in Central and Southern Thailand (the one I'm going to), and one for students in the North and Northeast of Thailand. My friend Rachel from Australia lives in the Northeast, so I won't be seeing her at the camp... So it better work out that I can go stay with her for a week or else I won't be able to see her at all again. Actually, I don't really have any friends who will be at the camp, besides maybe Elisabeth, the girl from Germany who lives around here, but I really don't know her very well. My other good friend, Amanda, isn't even in Thailand anymore. Oh well, I will just make new friends. I really just didn't make friends with too many people at the Arrival Orientation Camp because I was sooo jet lagged and just slept during all of our free time. Hopefully things will be a little bit different this time around at camp.
As far as I was able to tell from the package AFS sent me, the camp isn't actually too far away from where I live, maybe about a 1 hour drive. On Saturday morning I have to be at the AFS office by 9 a.m. to meet up with all of the other camp go-ers. We will all go together to visit Ayutthaya (wow I don't think that is spelled right at all, sorry), which is the old capital of Thailand. Apparently it s a very beautiful old acient city. Then we will head to the resort, where we will spend until Tuesday doing different activities, and discussing Culture Shock etc. I will obviously explain in more detail the happenings of the camp once I've actually been to the camp...
I had my Thai Language class right before lunch, and Ajan Supanee told me she would take me out to Carrefour for lunch instead of having class. We went with two other teachers to the noodle restaurant in Carrefour. I ordered a noodle dish with BBQ Pork, which was alright, but kind of bland tasting. Ajan Supanee let me try a little bit of her noodles to see if I liked them. I really liked the flavour of hers, it was kind of sour with a tiny bit of spicy. When I was done eating she asked me which dish I would like to have again, and I assumed she meant when I came back another day, so I told her I would probably order the dish she had. Next thing I know, she ordered it for me right then... I ate as much of it as I could without exploding, but kind of felt bad because there was alot leftover.. Then we went upstairs to the grocery store part of Carrefour, and she was determined to buy me as many snacks as I would let her. I was so full that I really didn't want anything, but I eventually let her buy me some Sour Cream and Onion chips, some pistachios, and some Thai Dessert.
The only class I had in the afternoon was Badminton, and since Patch wasn't at school today, I spent the class playing with some boy. I don't know his name, and he didn't speak any English, but he was a good badminton partner.
I was just about to call P'Kla to pick me up when Cherry informed me that Patch had just come to school, even though school was over. She had brought a CD for her friends to practice their hip hop routine to. I spent the next little while just hanging out with Patch, and well as the student teachers, and watching people practice dance routines. They kept on wanting me to teach them Canadian Songs.. but I really couldn't think of any.
Later that evening I went to the market outside of Tops with my host brothers, their girlfriends, Debbie, Ivy, and Debbie's boyfriend. Debbie and Ivy wanted to do some shopping, since things here are so cheap. However, the market there isn't really for souvenir type shopping, it's mostly clothes and food, so they were kind of dissapointed, and we didn't stay long because they wanted to leave to do other things, I'm not really sure what.
And now I'm here... but I think I will go "aab nam" now.
(take a shower)

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: