วันศุกร์ที่ 25 กรกฎาคม พ.ศ. 2551

CarreFour

Sooo this morning we were totally late for school. When we got there, everyone was already standing in line, and we had to kind of push and navigate our way through in order to reach the correct spot. There was also something special going on, but of course I couldn't understand any of it, so the assembly type thing was extra long today. When we finally were dismissed, my legs had fallen soooo much asleep (from sitting cross-legged) that I had problems walking. I'm sure everything who saw me thought I had sprained an ankle or something. First period was free, so you guessed it, I went to the computer room. Second period I had Thai Music, and I was really hoping Patch would show up (I hadn't seen her yet in the morning) to come with me to help translate for the teacher. But no Patch, so I went on my own. It wasn't too bad, we just reviewed the song she had taught me on Tuesday (which was super easy) and she taught me the beginning of a new song. One problem I am having though, is that due to my small finger/hand size, I have trouble completely closing off the holes on the flute, so that the notes don't come out at the right pitch. It's kind of annoying, because I know what I'm playing, I just can't physically make my hands go that way. Not yet, at least. Third period I was supposed to study Thai Language with my AFS coordinator, but she forgot, and only ended up teaching me for about 10 minutes at the end, during which Patch showed up. Apparently she'd only gotten to school second period (and the only reason she came in the first place, because she had no classes today, was to keep me company) but she didn't know what class I had. Fourth period, right before lunch, Patch and I went to Pylynn's classroom. Since next week is Pylynn's last week at our school, all of her classes are having goodbye parties for her this week, so Patch and I joined in on the celebration. We played musical chairs (and I was the second last person left!) and ate candy and chocolate. For lunch, the three of us went to Carrefour to the foodcourt type thing there. I had Itchy-ban type noodles! I was so excited, because it totally reminded me of all the good Itchy-ban times at Tamara's. Even though I've eaten so many noodles lately, I'll never be sick of step-on-soup. After lunch, we went to another one of Pylynn's classes who was having a party. These kids were alot more friendly, and they all wanted pictures with me and kept giving me chips and candy, which I accepted even though I was already sooooo full from lunch. I played musical chairs with them too. At first I didn't really want to, since I'd played earlier that day, but this one girl wouldn't take no for an answer, and she came and grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me over, then she quickly let go of my arm and was like "ohmygod I touched the white person!" Of course I couldn't understand her, but I knew that's what she was saying by the way she pointed at my arm and then at herself and such. It was a weird experience, to say the least. But then she was the one who kept bringing me food, so I know she meant well enough, I think she's just never touched white skin before :S
The last three periods I had free, so Patch and I ditched school early. Since there are security guards who wont let you out of the school unless you have permission (or are with a teacher) Pylynn gave us a ride to Carrefour, where we spent the rest of the afternoon shopping. Literally, we spent almost two hours just looking around Carrefour (think of spending like two hours looking around Extra Foods). But it actually wasn't too bad, because Patch hadn't been there before (they only built it while she was away), so we mostly looked at the international foods (the foods she misses from America) and she showed me lots of different Thai food and explained to me what it is. I was really surprised to find there alot of things such as tortilla shells, salsa, all kinds of chocolate, peanut butter, and most importantly, those crazy peanut butter filled pretzel things that Tamara always has and I can never find in North America. As if they don't have them in Canada but they have them in Thailand. It blew me away, so of course I bought them. Also, since I discovered how easily I will be able to obtain peanut butter while I'm here (and it's Skippy brand too!) I decided to break into my peanut butter from Canada when I got to my host families house. Cherry's birthday is on the 26th (same as Jessica's) so I thought it would also be good to buy her a card and a present. Patch suggested that I buy a picture frame, and have printed one of the pictures Patch took of me and Cherry on the day when I was all Thai-ed up. So I did. Kla came and picked me up from Carrefour at the same time he picked Cherry up from school. When we got to my host families house, Beam was researching different tour companies we can go with both rafting and snorkeling. I'm super excited for the rafting because apparently we will have to ride elephants in order to reach the rafting location! After she was done that, I googled Creston and Kootenay Lake and such in order to show her pictures of where I come from. That's one thing I wish I would have brought more of, pictures of home. Esepcially my house, because people keep asking me what my house is like. Also of Creston, because people here don't seem to understand the concept of a "small-town." Beam is very nice. She brought over a bunch of movies that she thought I might like to watch in English including Ratatouille, Sweeney Todd and the Golden Compass. So we put on Ratatouille (English with Thai subtitles) and Beam, Cherry and I began watching it. However, we were called for dinner. Kla is nice too, I had explained to him that I normally eat peanut butter on bread (because he doesn't know what toast is) when we were driving home from school. When we went for supper, he came in with a loaf of bread which he must have gone out and bought, so after supper, we all had dessert of bread with peanut butter and banana. Even though it wasn't toasted, it was by far the best thing I've eaten since I've been here! It was kind of weird to see them all struggle with spreading the peanut butter on the bread. I think the maybe felt just how I did when I had to use a fork and spoon rather than a fork and knife for the first time while I was here. It was just strange though, because I couldn't imagine anyone not knowing how to butter something. But I guess they just don't do it very often here. They all really enjoyed this new Canadian food though, and Kla told me that the jar of peanut butter would deffinately be empty soon. It was fun, I'm really glad I got a chance to share with them my favorite breakfast, even if it was on bread rather than toast, and for dessert rather than breakfast. It was some good bonding time though, I must admit.


NOTE: This post is a little late, because last night after I typed it all out, my internet connection went wonky, and I wasnt able to post it until today...

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: