วันศุกร์ที่ 25 กรกฎาคม พ.ศ. 2551

PicturesandSuch

This morning for classes I had a free period, followed by Thai art, and then Thai cooking. Thai art was deffinately alot more interesting than it was on Monday, because I actually did some Thai Art, not just art. While everyone else worked on drawing leaves, the teacher tried to explain to me in Thai how to draw some basic Thai designs. It wasn't working though, so she would just draw something and I would copy it, and then she would go "no, no, no" and re-do it for me. So pretty much the class was just me watching her draw everything twice. She actually gave me some homework though, the first homework I've had so far (besides practicing my Thai flute, which I haven't done yet, because I can kind of fake practicing for now). Thai cooking was interesting as well, because I actually had to cook with some other students and they didn't really speak English. So the teacher would just kind of show me what to do and then I would do it as best as I could, although that wasn't even very good because we all know how horrible of a cook I am. We made a Thai dessert which (in the end) was pretty much coconut milk and other liquidy things filled with coconut shavings, some kind of Thai vegetable, eggs, and these little balls of dough which I(!) deepfried. It was very tedious work just for a little bowl of dessert, because first we had to make all the dough (three different kinds-- yellow, green, and purple-- which all had different vegetables for taste and coloring mixed in with flour and water) and then we had to spend forever rolling them into tiny balls between our fingers. I didn't understand because only five of us were working on it, while the other 15 people in the class just sat and watched... very time consuming. I ate lunch in the cafeteria with Cherry and Nink. I'm not sure what I had, but it was good. I also went and got a water bottle all by myself. Cherry told me the word for water bottle so I could tell the lunch lady, and I said it to her, obviously not right though because she didn't understand me, so I ended up just pointing at the water bottles. It got the point across though. I spent my free period after lunch trying to figure out how to work the printer in the computer room so I could print a picture off of Patch's flash drive of Cherry and me, to frame and give to Cherry tomorrow. While I was doing that, my AFS advisor informed me that it had been my host mom's bday on the 21st. I thought that was kind of weird because I didn't remember anyone saying anything about a birthday... So then I started wondering what to get her, and I figured I would just do the same thing I'm doing for Cherry. Since the computer printers at the school suck, Pylynn offered to take me to her house to print off the pictures using her nice printer. We went to Carrefour for me to buy another picture frame and birthday card, but then it was time to go to my Thai Language class. It was completely awkward. Probably the first class since I've been here that I just spent looking at my watch. The teacher was really nice, she gave me some Thai desserts to take home with me, but the whole time she just quizzed me on words she thought I would know, and I didn't know any of them, and when I was confused about what she was asking, and tried to ask her to clarify in English, she didn't understand me. Very confusing. Once that was over and done with, Pylynn and I had to run back to Carrefour because she had some errands to do, then we went to the post office because I had some things to mail, and then went to her house to print the pictures. Nothing really too exciting about all that stuff. When I got home, Pylynn drove me home, I spent over an hour trying to get my camera to work. It seems like everyone else can load the pictures from it onto their computers except me, so I downloaded a new program and finally it works! A little later in the afternoon, my AFS advisor, coordinator, and the assistant director of the school stopped by my house to talk to my host parents about the bed/desk situation. It was sooooooooo awkward. They were all just talking away in Thai (about me, I could tell by the way the kept looking and pointing at me) and every once in a while would fill me in on what was going on. The jist of it is that I can talk to them whenever I need anything without having to go through my coordinator first, and that they can get me a bed but first I have to move all of my crap out of the way into the cupboard thing they've stuck in my room. Everything that can't fit in there will stay in my suitcases which will go on top of the cabinet. Then they will bring in a mattress to stick on the floor for me, or at least that's my understanding of the whole situation. I guess I will find out for sure when it gets here. My AFS coordinator also asked my host mom if her birthday had been next week and she said no, it's in December. So now I have an extra picture frame with a picture of me and my host mom in it, plus an extra birthday card. The rest of the evening I spent just having dinner with my host family plus Beam, who quizzed me on all the Thai words I know as well. For dessert we had some of the stuff I made in my cooking class which the teacher had sent home with Cherry. I played some card games with Beam, Kla, and Klang, and now I'm here. I've talked to Amanda a bit, and me and her are planning to go to Siam Square and possibly JJ Market tomorrow. Since I have to be back home by 5 for a special suprise party thing for Cherry, we have to leave super early in the morning in order to be able to spend a good amount of time there. Therefore, I will be waking up at 630 in order to leave at 730 in order to get to Amanda's house at 800 so we can get to Siam in good time. So much for sleeping in tomorrow I tell you, oh well, at least I get to go to Siam!!

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: