วันอาทิตย์ที่ 13 กรกฎาคม พ.ศ. 2551

KingKongLives(?)

Today was the AFS interview thing. I had to get up super early (530am) to be at my school at 630. Patch was waiting for me when I got there, and we had to wait for my AFS coordinator to come and pick us up in a taxi to go to the other school where the interviews were. I honestly didn't end up doing any interviews at all, I actually spent most of the day catching up with some other exchange students who are staying in Bangkok and were there today. There were 4 other current exchangers there besides me: Amanda from Wisconsin, Ieasha from Texas, Elisabeth from Germany, and Juan from Argentina. The only one I didn't already know was Juan, because he got here about three months ago. Juan, Amanda, and Ieasha all go to the same school (the one the interviews were at), which I kind of find unfair since I'm the only exchanger at my school... but apparently Elisabeth is the only one at hers too. Luckily though, there is an AFS returnee from Germany going to her school, so it's kind of like the same with Patch at my school for me. But honestly, I think AFS screwed me over a little bit. From what I gathered, everyone else's families speak super good english (which kind of made me a little jealous, although Juan pointed out at least this way I will be foreced to learn Thai faster). Also, the school we were at today (the one Amanda, Ieasha, and Juan go to) is sooo much nicer than mine. Not to mention their English teacher is from BC! He came and talked to me and asked me where I'm from and said he knows Creston and he's from Victoria and what not. I really wish I was going to school there just so I would have another Canadian to talk to. But it's kind of far away and what not, so I don't think I'd be able to transfer. Plus they all have to take hard classes, like physics and chemistry and such (in Thai) while I only have to take Thai dance and fun things... so it's not completely horrible.

The five of us pretty much just spent the day visiting and discussing things we've noticed about Thai people and Thailand, such as the fact that all Thai girls have moustaches. It's true. We also have also experienced the joys of trying to learn Thai names, when everyone's sounds exactly the same. Like for example, my host brothers names all sound the same when they are spoken. Also, we've all noticed that they use toilet paper to wipe their faces at meals.... Us girls exchanged cell phone numbers, and we're hoping to go to the mall sometime soon and watch Hancock or another movie. Ieasha leaves in 5 weeks though so we must do it soon... Apparently she's having a hard time at her school because none of the Thai kids will talk to her. I think it's because she is black, and they hate dark skin for some reason. I'm lucky because I have super white skin which all the Thai's strive for... I've also noticed that even though it is insanely hot outside, they still all wear sweaters and jeans because they don't want to get tanned. It's weird.

I am confused as hell, because although I was certain we had run over KingKong, there are still three dogs at my host families house. And today, Cherry was petting one of them and said he was a good KingKong. I dunno what happened there.... random note that was.

After the AFS thing, Patch and I took the bus(!) and went to the mall. We didn't really have all that much time there because we were just waiting around for Cherry to finish her tutorial. I bought a shirt though that has a guitar on it. There was also some kind of Thai food convention thing going on inside the mall, and as we walked around Patch would just ask people if I could try the food, so I got to try lots of good Thai things. My favorites were this green gooey stuff (weird texture, good taste) and these crepe type things that are filled with sugar cane stuff called roll-de-sai-mai. Sooo good.

Just to prove to you how confusing it is to make myself understood in my host family, last night I put my Dukoral vaccines in my host families fridge, and tried to explain to Cherry that it was medicine for me and it needed to stay in there, so that she would be able to explain it to my host mom. She didn't understand me at all though, so she ended up phoning Patch, getting me to talk to her and explain to her, then Cherry talked to Patch and Patch translated, and then Cherry told my host mom. It's nearly impossible to communicate anything around here.

I used a squat toilet for the first time today! It's honestly not that bad, just kind of like peeing in the bush. Except if you somehow miss the hole, you're in trouble :S

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: