วันเสาร์ที่ 26 กรกฎาคม พ.ศ. 2551

Elephants and Birthdays

Today was the first day I got out and about without any Thai host family members or school people or Thai friends! Manda and I went to Siam Square, which is the fancy shopping part of Bangkok, with all the stores like Gucci and Guess and such. To say the least, I didn't buy anything. Last night after I went to bed, Manda phoned me and told me I should go to her house at 9 instead of 8, which was sweet because I got to sleep in an extra hour. When I woke up in the morning, I tried to phone Kla to let him know he didn't have to come pick me up until 830, but he didn't answer his phone, so I just went downstairs for breakfast. I ate breakfast with my host dad, and since Kla still hadn't showed up to drive me, I made plans with my host dad for him to take me. Just as I was finishing eating, Kla came running into the house in his pajamas, hair all dishevelled, and still wearing his retainer. He was all, "I'm sorry, my alarm didn't go off this morning!" I told him it was okay because plans had been changed and I had tried to call him to let him know. It was still kind of funny though. So he drove me to Manda's house, which happens to be inside of Minburi Market. Her family owns a "gold shop" and then upstairs, above the shop is their home. It turns out her host sister, Nuch, is Korn's ex-girlfriend... Who would have known? Anyways, her sister is going to Belgium with AFS next month, and she had an AFS meeting thing in Siam Square, so we just went along. We went by van first, then took the sky train! It was pretty much like the London Underground, crowded and what not, except above ground instead of under. When we got to Siam Square, we ditched Nuch and just shopped around on our own for a bit, and made plans to meet up with Nuch for lunch. We pretty much just wandered around and looked at things, but didn't really buy anything. We tried calling Juan to see if he would want to meet up with us, but he was "in the hospital", which here means that he went to the doctor because he was sick. Nuch phoned us when she was ready for lunch, and asked us if we would like to her with her and her friend. We met up with them, and it turned out that her friend was like 30 AFS people. I met a few people who are going to Canada next month, but they're all going to Quebec... So it's not really like they're going to Canada. Not my Canada at least. We got all the way to the restaurant with them, and then realized that eating with them would take forever, and we wanted to see a movie, so we ditched and just went and had lunch on our own. We had burgers and fries! Best thing ever. We then headed up to the theatre to watch Batman the Dark Knight. I honestly saw so many suspicious couples at the theatre. And by suspicious, I mean a middle aged white man, with a beautiful young Thai girl. The movie was supposed to start at 2, and I had to be home at 5, so I figured we would have enough time, except there ended up being about half an hour of previews, followed by the Kings Song (during which everyone in the theatre much stand) and then the movie, which just by itself was long (but super good, english with Thai subtitles). It ended up being over at 5! We called up Nuch and she said she would meet us in half an hour to go home. We took the skytrain once again, and then went by van, however Nuch called Kla and he said for me to go to Fashion Island to meet him. He was waiting for me right where I got off the van (thank god or else I wouldn't have known where to find him). We went an got Beam, and then headed out for dinner at this Barbeque restaurant thing for Cherry's bday. I've decided I really don't like those kinds of restaurants. They have this mini grill thing at each table, and people grill their meat right on it. The thing is though, they use the same chopsticks to touch the raw meat and then eat off of them. The meat also tastes like it's never fully cooked to me. This particular restaurant was a buffet style one (100 baht per person), however, apparently if you don't eat all the food you take, they charge you extra. My problem was that Kla kept bringing me steaks and such (which was really nice of him), but I couldn't eat it all. We ended up sticking the leftover meat in a plastic bag and sneaking it out to give the dogs. While we were sitting there, a man with an elephant came over, and asked if I would like to feed it. I felt bad for it, being one of those elephants who just wanders around Bangkok with it's owner to impress tourists. But I am somewhat of a tourist, so I was impressed. It was so cute. I fed it little mini cucumbers, and Beam video'd it. It also made the cutest sounds... After dinner, we ate icecream at my host families house, and I gave Cherry her present. I think she liked it, however she didn't open the card, because I think maybe she didn't realize what it was. Anyways,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESSICA

(AND CHERRY)

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: