วันศุกร์ที่ 11 กรกฎาคม พ.ศ. 2551

SaWasDee(Ka)

Today was my last day of just doing nothing, at school at least. I went with Cherry to her first two periods, both of which were physics. Since I didn't understand anything that the teacher was saying, I just spent the class practicing writing my Thai name, as well as drawing Thai artwork that one of Cherry's friends showed me. I thought it was pretty easy. You just draw a grid thing and then make it into a flower shaped thing. But for some reason all the Thai's were amazed, they thought it was very good. They also made fun of Cherry because apparently my Thai printing is better than hers. Then again, they haven't seen my English printing....
Since I got bored just sitting around in class, I went to the computer room to visit Patch. It was her birthday today, even though she told me yesterday I totally forgot, or else I would have taken her one of my Canadian gifts. However, I will see her on Sunday for the AFS interview thing, so I will take her something then. After the AFS thingy we are apparently going to the mall with Cherry to go shopping :)
In the afternoon, we went with my AFS coordinator, and another teacher to some Buddhist University. Although they kind of mislead me to believe it was a temple, which I was super excited about seeing. It ended up just being a university and also a hotel type thing where monks stay, the other teacher was staying there for a couple of nights so we just dropped her off. I went to the bathroom in her room and discovered they actually had little mini hand soap bars, unlike in every other bathroom in Thailand. So I stole one. I know Buddha is probably frowning on me, but I can't live without washing my hands. I will get hookworms or salmonella poisoning or something else. And die. It took all of like 2 hours to drive there and 2 hours to drive back, and we probably only stayed there for like 10 minutes. But it was much better than doing nothing at school...
I got to try some different Thai dishes today though, and I found a few that I actually really like. They fed me some fruit which they called "mango" although it isn't like any other mango I've tasted before. It is super sour, so you dip it in this sugary stuff that looks like caviar. Very yummy. Also, they fed me a Thai dessert which consists of these wormy looking green things (which have no taste) in coconut milk with ice. It may sound gross, but it actually tastes very good, if you like coconut that is. At supper tonight too, we had some really good tasting meat dish. I'm not sure what meat it was (maybe chicken?) or what else was in it, but it was good. Although I must admit, the whole time I was just wondering if they were feeding me KingKong. Bad thing to think, I know.
Thai language is still confusing the hell out of me. They tell me words for everything, and then I forget pretty much right away. However, starting tomorrow, when I hopefully have some free time, I will start studying from my Thai book that AFS gave me. I really want to make an effort to be able to speak Thai, so I can actually communicate with others. Esepcially with my host mom. Also with the kids at school, because they all talk to Patch, and she translates for me, that they all want to talk to me and get to know me, but they can't speak English, and I can't speak Thai. I also want to be able to speak some Thai to my host brothers, because they are all trying very hard to learn English. Kla actually went out and bought a couple of English books today. But I think mostly he just wants to learn English to impress Beam, his girlfriend who majors in English. I actually really like Beam (she isn't the same girl as I thought she was in previous posts, my bad). Her English deffinately isn't as good at Patch's, but she tries, and she talks to me alot and makes me feel at home.
Tomorrow I am sleeping. That is a fact. Even if the damn roosters are crowing. Because on Sunday, I have to be at the school at 630 for the silly AFS thing. On the bright side, however, that means I will miss seeing the cock fighting.
Apparently Thursday and Friday of next week are Buddhist holidays, and we get school off (yay). There is also going to be some kind of festival/parade which I am going to be in while wearing a traditional Thai outfit. That's pretty much all I've gathered from everyone, because as it is, things are a little hard for me to gather around here. Anyways, I'm kind of excited for it, I want to see how the Thai outfit will look on me :)

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: