วันพุธที่ 23 กรกฎาคม พ.ศ. 2551

Pylynn's House

So this morning I had 3 free periods to begin the day, which I spent in the computer room chatting on msn. Bad me, I know I should be studying Thai... Fourth period however, I was supposed to go study Thai Language. Since Patch didn't have a class, she came along with me. It turned out though that the teacher had some meeting outside of school which she had to attend, so really I didn't end up having a class. Patch and I left the school to go run some errands. We went to the post office so she could mail some AFS stuff, then to the bank to ask about me opening an account there. They said I would need to bring in my passport, and a letter from the school or AFS (I can't really remember which one). Since it was around lunchtime, we wandered around, looking for a good place to eat. We ran into one of Patch's friends (who was on a motorbike) and she suggested we eat a place just around the corner. Since we didn't know where it was, she gave us a lift on her motorbike. It was the first time I've riden a bike all side-saddle (because of wearing our school uniform skirts). It wasn't too scary because really she only took us down the street (we could have walked but it was super hot out) and we went really slow. After we had lunch, we went back to the school for my flower making class, where I finished my rose :) It is very beautiful I must admit. As soon as I get my camera situation sorted out I will post a picture of it. I hope to be able to take it back to Canada at the end of the year, but I'm not sure how I would transport it. Which reminds me also that P'Kla gave me a HUUUGE stuffed snake when I got here, and I just realized that if I take it home with me, it will fill an entire suitcase on it's own. I had a hard enough time getting all my stuff over here, I have no idea how I'm going to fit everything going back.... But oh well, I will worry about that when the time comes. Finishing the flower didn't take very long as all I had to do was glue on the leaves and stem so then we headed back to the computer room, where I was informed I had to meet with my AFS advisor and coordinator about the whole host family situation. In the end, they convinced me to wait at least another month before I make any serious decisions (despite them telling me I had to make a decision today :S) My coordinator promised me she will talk to my family about the bed situation. I'm sure that honestly my host parents just didn't know I had to have a seperate bed, because from what I gather, it is normal for Thai people to share beds like this. I told my advisor and counsellor that I feel dissapointed in AFS Thailand for not making this rule clear to host families before the exchange students actually arrive... anyways, enough of that. I didn't go to my last class because it was supposed to be badminton, and I still haven't got a sport uniform (or a badminton racket for that matter). So next week I will start I guess.

After school Pylynn drove me home to get changed and rest up before she would come back to pick me up at 6. Patch wasn't able to go to Pylynn's for dinner after all, so it was just me. My host dad wanted me to take one of my host brothers, although I wasn't sure exactly which one he meant, so me and Pylynn just didn't ask and went without any of them. Pylynn lives with her dad and their dog in a townhouse that is fairly nearby my house. Her dad is completely British, has lived in Thailand for 25 years, and still doesn't speak Thai. I don't know how I'm supposed to pick it up in only a few months :S Their dog was so cute though (a bassett hound named Floppy) and she made me miss Dookie (and the rest of my dogs) very much, just the way she would beg for food and kind of make a sad noise when she wanted something from me (the exact same way Dookie does). She also really liked me, and was super happy when I arrived at their house. Unlike most of the dogs I see around here, she is actually well fed, and is treated like how most North American's and Europeans treat their dogs, just like another member of the family. This is not how Thai people treat their animals at all.. I was also suprised to learn that the average life span of a cat or a dog in Thailand is 3 or 4 years, due to all the diseases and what not in this country. That seems so weird compared to in North America when an animals average life span is often 16 years.... Pylynn's dad was very nice. He cooked us a casserole with pork, potatoes, and carrots, with mashed potatoes (and gravy mmmmm) as well as brocolli and cauliflower. It was super good, and really nice for a change from rice.

After supper Pylynn's dad drove me home, and Pylynn and Floppy (the dog) came along as well. They got out because they wanted to meet my host family, and left Floppy in the car. Ohmygod I'm not even going to lie, I was freaking scared that my host families dogs were going to attack Floppy. This is mainly because a couple of times in the last week, two of my host families dogs have tried to fight to the death. Seriously, those dogs scare me. When we get home they come over to us all happy and shaking their tails, then one gets jealous of something and two of them start trying to kill eachother (it is usually the pregnant one versus another one) and my host mom yells for my host brothers and they use long poles with chains on the end to wrap around the dogs necks to pull them apart and then they chain them to opposite sides of the garage. It really disturbs me. But I know that dogs fight in every country, not just Thailand.

Oh and as I learned today from the AFS people (who made me feel kind of silly for thinking otherwise) cock fighting is legal in Thailand, just to correct what I wrote in a previous post. However, I still don't understand why if my host family is Buddhist, they raise roosters for Muslims to have them fight. Makes no sense to me. But whatever, I'm trying just to "go with the flow" for the next month.

Time for me to go to sleep though, because I haven't been able to sleep very well in the last couple of nights, and I'm feely tres sleepy. Or maaaaa sleepy (If you want the Thai version).

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: